Had her doc appt this AM... didn't go how I'd like it to have gone.
First off, she has only gained ONE ounce in the past month. So the doc wants me to supplement and give her 2 oz of formula every 3 hours after I nurse.
Second off, she got 5 vaccines but only 4 pokes and they did one orally. She cried the entire time! Poor baby had tears. Thankfully she settled down once Mommy could pick her up.
I contacted a lactation consultant (Melanie) that a friend referred me to and I feel A LOT better about the breastfeeding. I am NOT going to supplement her yet. We believe I am "running low" but not "dried up" so I do not see a reason to supplement.
Melanie told me that since Caitlin has been sleeping through the night, my body is producing differently and since she only nurses every 3-4 hours during the day, she is not eating as much as she should. She needs to be eating at least 8 times a day, so I have to stay on top of making sure she eats every 2 hours (as long as she continues to sleep through the night) which I don't see her changing that... she has been pretty consistent with it. So she is getting "enough" right now to get by, but not enough to actually fill her and chunk her up. So it helps ME to know that I am not starving her, she is just not getting as much as she needs. I was really upset today because I nurse A LOT -- it's always been on Caitlin's demand and I thought it was going good... so I think as long as I can get my supply back up to normal, she'll be fine.
I've also started taking a new vitamin that is supposed to help increase my milk supply and will start another on Sat when Whole Foods gets more in, they were sold out tonight.
The doc wants us to come back next Fri for a weight check but she also thinks I am going to supplement. Melanie said I probably won't notice a change in her weight for at least 2-3 weeks... and if I don't then, there are other things that we can try before I just give her formula but she felt very strongly that if I just stay on top of feeding, my supply will increase and Caitlin will be fine. So I plan on calling the doc and NOT going in next week- if we go back to her, it will not be for another 2-3 weeks when I have tried the changes in my breastfeeding.
I'm glad we had the doc appt today though-- because the last few days I've noticed a change in her eating, which everything that I've learned today explains it. She will eat but take herself off like she is done but still root but won't latch on and it's pretty much because she isn't getting enough...
I am not going to give up and plan to go full force in still breastfeeding her.
Pray that it all works out for the best and the way we want it to work out. :)
Caitlin can't go see Dr. Williams til Feb 1st, but I think I might call tomorrow and see if we can get Hailey in (she has started with her runny nose again, that is kind of green now) so she can get checked out and figure out why this cold just won't stay away... and while I'm there I can talk to Dr. Williams about Caitlin and get her opinion... and then I will take her to see her as soon as medicaid will "allow" her to be seen.
Anyway- Just thought I'd update everyone!
Thursday, December 27, 2007
Caitlin Update
Posted by Nicole at 10:19 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
Nicole
You are doing the best thing by not supplementing with formula until you have tried everything to increase your supply. Supplementing will only decrease your supply because Caitlyn's needs will be satisfied by the formula and you wont be able to match that. When Kaleigh was born they supplemented with formula in the nursery and had me do so at home since she was premature. I could never supply enough for her. I would pump inbetween her feedings and get no sleep just to try to increase my supply to meet the formula. Needless to say, I ending up quiting breastfeeding after only a month. So hang in ther. Next baby, there will be no supplementing for me. Just think about the olden days when there was no formula...those babies survived just fine on what their mothers produced.
Ill keep you both in our prayers.
Keep me posted.
Kim
Post a Comment