Friday, July 25, 2008

Words can not explain...

I haven't posted anything about this yet because I have been so swamped with Caitlin's doc appts and surgery & family pics on Tues night, plus I knew it would be a lot to type out... a lot easier to verbally say. Shawna posted a blog tonight so I am going to copy it from her blog, since she knows the "details" first hand and already has it written out.

This is from her blog:
I'd like to start of by saying...life is precious!
Here's my story...
Monday around mid-day, the girls and I decided to go to Pei Wei for lunch. We had little Miss Hailey with us, and thought it would be fun to take her.
As I get into my car I notice I am on "E"!! Yeah, I know...not smart. Anyway, off we go to the gas station.
All went well there, but when I got in the car, I noticed I didn't have my phone! Not normal for me. I guess having an extra kiddo threw me off.
We turned back around to go home. As we were turning from our exit, we started going under an overpass. As I just turned, I didn't have a lot of speed yet. This over pass has two bridges...we were heading under the first one when I heard a very loud boom (sounded almost like a bomb). Then I saw debris coming off the 2nd bridge. It was falling between the 2 bridges, down right next to where we were. I could only scream "Oh My God" over and over again...
By my 3rd OMG...A truck came flying off the highway bridge, landing between the two bridges. We were parallel with where the truck landed. Luckily when it flew off it went at an angle and landed off the road I was on and in the grass. Words can't explain the site we all saw. The truck was bouncing around like a toy. It was the type of truck you see at construction sites. The ones that carry the trash off, so we are not talking a little pick up truck here. My instinct told me to get out from under the bridges....so I parked ahead more and was gathering myself so I could stand up with out passing out. As I was about to get out one of the girls said that the man was crawling out. More people had stopped by then, and were helping the man. I went to make sure he was stable and to make sure he was staying still.
I had 3 children in the car, and couldn't bare to have them witness anymore than they had already seen, so I went to my car. We waited for just a minute, then went to get my phone. I made calls and got it all out of my system.
We continued on our outing in hopes that we could get it out of our heads. On our way home, we went back by the site of the accident, and was completely shocked to see that the truck left the bridge only a yard or 2 from where we were.
We are so blessed to be ok. If anything had been any different, we could have been hurt.
The after math of the accident aired on the local news here. They said the man was changing lanes and hit a car/truck and swirved back over, and lost control. Looking at the video they took, you could see that there were no tire marks on the bridge...he went off going close to 65 mph.
We are still plagued with the site of this. The girls have brought it up everyday since.

I think she called Joy afterwards and then called us (we had Caitlin and were taking her to the doc on Monday for all those appts) and she was pretty shaken up. At first, I don't think it really set in for me since I guess I wasn't there and it was hard to picture it all until we got home and saw the news, and then drove by there and could see the guardrail and highway edge damage. Then it really hit me that something BAD could of happened to them. And don't get me wrong, I love Shawna, Mal & Mo like family but when it's your OWN child - it really hit me! Thinking of losing Hailey! OMG! I can't even imagine. I'm just glad that the 4 of them had Angels watching over them and also that the man that crashed was safe too... Here is the link that NBC5 has on their website. It doesn't really tell you THAT much about it but at least it will show you where the truck landed and all that... I think Shawna said that where you'll see the firetruck under the bridge, is about where they were... so you can really see how close they were.

Anyway -- like Shawna said in her blog "life is precious"!!

http://video.nbc5i.com/player/?id=278279

1 comments:

Wendy said...

That is so crazy! Does Shawna have a blog like ours or is it a blog from her myspace?