Ok, so I think I posted the other day that Caitlin ran fever on Sunday night... gave her meds, she went to sleep, woke up and we were able to give her pacifier to her and she felt like she broke her fever, woke up and didn't have one on Monday morning. I still called Dr. Tammi's office that day to let them know and see if they recommend I do anything (other then keeping an eye on her, etc)... She seemed fine, maybe a little fussier then normal and slept a lot (just like she had slept a lot on Sun). I honestly figured she'd maybe be cutting a tooth or was just going through a growth spurt which would explain her sleeping a lot and fussiness (not so much the fever, but teething can do that). So we woke up on Tues and Jeff saw this (pic below) on her face. At first he thought it was an impression from her sleeping, she slept on her tummy that night but after we all showered and it was still there he started thinking it was a bite mark of some sort and we didn't think much of it. I honestly didn't think it looked like a bite mark, maybe just a little rashy area of some sort.
So after Caitlin fighting to stay awake... I guess she wasn't ready to wake up because she nursed, only ate half of her cereal a little later and was ready for a nap... after fighting SOOOOOO hard to not fall asleep (even though her eyes were rolling in the back of her head and she was just plain tired) she finally fell asleep. Since I knew she didn't seem totally there (very tired and fussy) I blocked the hallway off with the baby gate (so Hailey couldn't be loud by her door) and let her sleep. She really only woke up once or twice but she wasn't fully awake so I was able to just give her pacifier to her... she finally started to fully wake up around 5pm, mind you she had been asleep since maybe 2pm? I got her out of her crib and that little mark looked like THIS (pic below)...
It turned to what looked like a blister!!!! I freaked out-- called Jeff (he was finishing at a job) and he msged Shawna to see if she could swing by to look at it. First thing she said when she came in "does she have any others anywhere else or a rash anywhere"... well I honestly hadn't thought to look anywhere else at that point - I was still trying to figure out what the heck it was. It was a clear liquid looking blister, where on earth would she get that from! Checked her out and sure enough she had a pin point pink/reddish rash mostly on her back and tummy... Shawna gave her a bath (to see if it would bring it out more) and it did - started seeing them on the back of her neck and head and elbows, etc... then unfortunately, Caitlin scratched the blister and popped it (right after getting out of the bath). Sooo it being 5:30-6pm by now, I didn't know if we should just wait till she can go to the doc in the AM or what so I called the nurse line that Dr. Tammi's office has and the nurse called back and I explained everything to her, everything that has gone on lately, etc. She said she thought the rash was viral (by what it sounded like) but couldn't explain the blister so she called the DR on call and called me back, said to just wait and call Dr. Tammi's office in the AM and get her in. Said to call the nurse line back if she started running fever or if the rash turned blood red or purple. Thankfully she didn't run fever again (and hasn't since that one time on Sun night) and the rash really had let up when we got up this morning. It was still showing up really good on her back and tummy and the back of her head and neck but not so much on her legs and arms anymore. I called Dr. Tammi and we were able to get in for a 3:40 pm appt... she immediately said the rash looks like Roseola which is NOT contagious and usually comes once in a childs life. She said it usually comes on quickly with a high fever for a few days and then the rash appears, Caitlin only ran a low-medium fever on Sun night but the rash showed up quickly. She said it will pass (without meds) on it's on in a few days (usually 3-5 days). She said the "bite" on her face looked like a staph infection!!! My first thought, how on earth would she get that?? Said she could of gotten it from many different ways - it could of been on a surface somewhere that she or we touched, or anything. She did say it IS contagious but ONLY if it's touched. So you can't get it by holding her, etc. She said we could cover it with a band aid to avoid her from being able to touch it and spread it to any other part of her body and to avoid Hailey from touching it... but we have decided to NOT do that yet. I know the second we put a band aid on it Hailey will want to touch it and will want her own band aid (or will try to take it off her and put it on here, which would really probably give it to her) because right now the girls don't touch it. I haven't seen Caitlin move her hands to her face at all, which Dr. Tammi was shocked to hear because she said they are usually painful. And Hailey has only pointed it out - hasn't actually tried to touch IT. So we'll be doing a major spring cleaning this weekend (probably Fri and Sat) because my sister will be staying with us and she'll hopefully be able to keep an eye on the girls for us. Dr. Tammi did a swab of it and sent it off for a culture, said she should hear something by Friday but for sure by Monday... that will confirm if it is for sure a staph infection, etc. I honestly didn't think it was one because it just doesn't look like one to me but I know there are different kinds of staph infections you can get. Here is a pic (below) of what it looks like now, it just looks like a little cigarette burn now (in my opinion).
Wednesday, April 9, 2008
Caitlin Update (kind of long)
Oh --- also she is on antibiotics already for her UTI/Kidney Reflux but it is a antibiotic that you take for 14 days and discard the rest... the pharmacist told me yesterday that I'll have to come back every 15 days and refill it since the medicine becomes "inactive" after 14days... I'm glad I told Dr. Tammi that today because she didn't know this certain kind did that so she'll start a new antibiotic that she can just take till it's gone once she gets off the 10 day antibotic (a different brand from the one she has been on and the one she'll be getting on, it's a stronger one she said) to treat the staph infection that also will work to prevent UTI's.
Posted by Nicole at 11:21 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 comments:
Post a Comment