Sorry it's kind of long. I tried to be as detailed as I could so everyone can some what understand it and not have a ton of questions (that I can't answer yet).
Also, sorry if some of it doesn't make sense either... Jeff isn't here for me to read it to (he usually proofs these kind of things for me) to make sure I didn't miss anything or say something confusing...
Caitlin had her lab work yesterday afternoon (Tues)... they did a sonogram first (of her kidneys and bladder). The sono tech then said the doc wanted to look at the sono again (mostly the left side), we didn't think anything was wrong just figured she wanted a better view till they told us they thought they saw a fungal ball. What is a fungal ball you may ask? We had no idea at that point and honestly to this point I don't know much more about it. Jeff's Mom sent me this link that explains it a little better: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/81/6/826 then they had us wait for them to call us back to do her VCUG (the x-ray test). They called us back and I was able to go in -- just for them to prep her and the x-ray tech to explain to me in more detail what they were going to do. I was able to stay in there with her while they did the catheter (poor thing cried the entire time) and then he told me I would have to step out for the rest of it. I said I'd like to stay and he then went on to tell me the hospital policy and how women can not be exposed to the radiation (incase they could be pregnant). I told him I was on an IUD and NOT pregnant. He said he can't trust an IUD and asked when my last period was. Well hmm, since I am on an IUD and don't have regular periods, I don't know. I told him what "would" be a period was last week. That wasn't good enough. I said "I don't care if I am in here, but one of us will be in here". He said "Oh is Dad out there... has he had a vasectomy"... well No he hasn't then I think he noticed the face I was making and he said "Dad can come in". So I went and got Jeff and waited outside. Of course was a nervous wreck and already starting to cry and then I heard her screaming!!! Way to make it worse on me! I wanted to walk away from the area but I knew it was only going to take maybe 5 mins and I wanted to be right there for when they called me back in. What felt like forever he finally came out and said "Mom you can come back in". THANK GOD! Poor baby was screaming bloody murder when I got in there... Jeff couldn't pick her up yet till I helped clean her off but once she was able to get dressed and Daddy was holding her she calmed down. The tech said to wait in the area they wanted to call up to the doc to make sure they didn't want to see us. I then freak out and assume it means the x-ray was bad but Jeff reminded me that it could just be about the fungal ball and getting her on meds. They then told us to go ahead on up to Dr. Tammi's office.... We get up there and signed in and waited. Then she asked if I had fed Caitlin and if I hadn't if I could feed her (they were going to want to get another urine sample). So I feed her and let her know... assuming it wouldn't be that long of a wait since I JUST fed her but no we waited AWHILE... I think we were just about the last people called back. They took us in the room where they did her catheter last time and we asked if Dr. Tammi was going to come talk to us. "Dr. Tammi isn't here today, it will be the Nurse Practitioner".... NICE! I'm freaking out and don't even get to talk to Dr. Tammi. No one has yet to really tell us anything at this point so I said SOMEONE needs to come speak with us... so the regular nurse comes in and did the catheter (thankfully she didn't cry AT ALL, just smiled and laughed at Daddy). They kind of talked to us about it a little but not much because they didn't want to give us false information. We weighed Caitlin on the way to a room.... she weighed 11 lbs 10 oz!!!! She has gained ONE pound in a week and 4 days!! YAH!!! Once in the room, we waited again forever! The nurse came in and gave us an appt for a Urologist (bladder doctor) but wouldn't tell us anything still. Nurse Practitioner came in and started to tell us everything... here is everything I remember. Sorry if nothing makes sense, I'm not to smart with all the medical terms. :-) She said she DOES have kidney reflux (Cindy sent this site about it: http://www.drgreene.org/body.cfm?id=21&action=detail&ref=626) and it has 4 stages, she is a 3 (which actually we looked it up and there are 5 stages). She said we'll be going to to see the Urologist (at 3:30 today, Wed) and then we'd be getting an appt for a Nephrologist (kidney doctor) hopefully sometime this week, they couldn't get a hold of them to set the appt. She explained to us what happens with the urine reflux and what are the ways to treat it. There is the simple give meds and hope it clears up on it's on and there is surgery to repair it... it will be up to the urologist on what they'll do (I guess he'll determine has serious it is). She said the signs to look for (if something was wrong) fever, not eating and not gaining weight but said the not gaining weight isn't an issue since she is! And she said to not worry because she is happy, active and healthy. We asked her what could cause this (Kidney reflux) and she said she could of been born with it. Said the only way you find out about it them usually is when they have a UTI... so I'm glad I took her to the doc when she ran that fever because otherwise we'd never know (till later on in life, I'd hope). It's hard NOT to worry. I am trying to stay calm and not think to much about it till we go see the doc this afternoon and get real answers. She was going to put her on some meds yesterday but called and the urologist said to wait, guess they will want to give her some today.
Soo..... we will keep everyone posted.
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Caitlin's Lab Work (from yesterdays appt)
Posted by Nicole at 12:23 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 comments:
Post a Comment